Ціна нафти обвалилася до мінімуму за девʼять тижнів на тлі поширення нового штаму COVID-19

Заборону на вʼїзд із Південної Африки вже запровадили щонайменше 10 країн …


more ...

У Мінську затримали фрілансера Радіо Свобода

«Сказали, що забирають його ненадовго, на пару днів», – розповіла Радіо Свобода дружина Андрія Кузнечика …


more ...

Уряд офіційно запустив діяльність Бюро економічної безпеки

У БЕБ втім зазначають, що попри рішення про офіційний запуск роботи, органу поки не виділено спеціально обладнані приміщення та будівлі …


more ...

Зеленський заявив про створення національного авіаперевізника

Національний авіаперевізник має кілька робочих назв, одна з яких Ukrainian National Airlines …


more ...

US, China and Cyberattacks, the Tool of the 21st Century

China was behind one of the biggest hacks of all time, quietly stealing email and data from organizations, according to the U.S. and other nations’ governments. Experts say China-orchestrated attacks on strategic targets have increased in recent years. Michelle Quinn reports. Producer: Michelle Quinn. Camera: Michael Burke. …


more ...

Україна планує повністю вакцинувати до кінця року 17 мільйонів людей – меморандум з МВФ

Фонд вказав на низький рівень вакцинації в Україні як один із ризиків для якнайшвидшого відновлення її економіки. …


more ...

Котирування міжбанківського ринку сягнули 27 гривень за долар

Національний банк України на початку торгів виходив на ринок із запитом найкращого курсу і продав до 40 мільйонів доларів за ціною 26 гривень 92–94 копійки за долар …


more ...

700 млн доларів від МВФ мають надійти до України 24 листопада – Шмигаль

22 листопада Рада директорів МВФ за підсумками першого перегляду програми stand-by (SBA) погодила виділення Україні траншу кредиту в розмірі близько 700 мільйонів доларів …


more ...

Apple Sues Israeli Spyware Company NSO Group 

Apple says it is suing Israeli NSO Group, maker of the controversial Pegasus spyware.  Apple will be the second company to sue NSO after Facebook, now Meta, sued over similar concerns that Pegasus was targeting WhatsApp users. Meta owns WhatsApp. The case is still working its way through the courts.  Apple says the spyware specifically targeted its users. It also wants to prevent NSO from using any Apple product or service, which would be a massive blow to the company that sells governments the ability to hack iPhones and Android phones in order to gain full access.  Apple says it has created a software patch to protect devices from Pegasus.  The Cupertino, California-based company says it is seeking undisclosed damages it says it incurred because of NSO. It says it would donate any award money to organizations that investigate and expose spyware. One such company, Citizen Lab, was central in uncovering how Pegasus worked.  “This is Apple saying: If you do this, if you weaponize our software against innocent users, researchers, dissidents, activists or journalists, Apple will give you no quarter,” Ivan Krstic, head of Apple security engineering and architecture, said in an interview Monday with the New York Times.  Earlier this month, the U.S. put NSO along with three other software companies on a blacklist that places severe restrictions on their ability to do business in the U.S.  It said the companies “developed and supplied spyware to foreign governments” and that the spyware was used “to maliciously target government officials, journalists, businesspeople, activists, academics and embassy workers.”  NSO did not immediately comment on the lawsuit, but has previously said it takes precautions to prevent the abuse of its products.  The pressure against NSO appears to be working, as many news outlets reported the company was at risk of defaulting on its loans.  Some information in this report comes from Reuters.  …


more ...

Міністерство фінансів продало ОВДП менш як на 4,5 мільярда гривень

Завтра, 24 листопада, Міністерство фінансів має виплатити за попередньо залученими ОВДП відсотків на 4,827 мільярда гривень …


more ...

Burkina Faso Internet Shutdown Continues into Fourth Day

The shutdown of internet access via mobile phone networks that began Saturday dragged on for a fourth day Tuesday. The government said in a statement the shutdown is in the interest of national defense and public security and will last until around 10 p.m. tonight. VOA talked to some Burkinabes on the streets of Ouagadougou to ask how the shutdown was affecting them and what they thought of the government’s decision. Alexi Sawadogo, a physician, spoke outside a bank on one of the city’s busy boulevards. He said he was there to check his account balance as the shutdown meant he could no longer do so online.  “It disconnects us from our friends who are outside the country, with whom we communicate regularly,” he says. He notes that he understands that it is because of the French convoy that was blockaded in the north, but says insecurity is not a valid reason and that the government needs to review its strategy.  The shutdown has come in the wake of protests in recent days that have blocked a French military supply convoy that is attempting to travel from Ivory Coast to Niger. Protesters say they want an end to French military intervention in the regional war against Islamist militants.  There have also been protests against the government’s handling of security, after a terrorist group believed to be associated with al-Qai da killed more than 50 military police in an assault on a base in northern Burkina Faso on November 14th.  Ali Dayorgo, a university student, said the shutdown has affected his ability to work and learn the latest news. He says he doesn’t understand why the shutdown is happening, but he hears the voice of the Burkinabe youth. “I feel the anger of the youth,” he expressed, adding that even if he doesn’t join protests against insecurity, he supports them. A funeral for some of the victims of the attack is taking place in Ouagadougou today.  Drabo Mahamadou is the national executive secretary of the “Save Burkina Faso Movement,” one of the protest groups that is calling for President Roch Kabore to resign. He said they have called on the population to attend Tuesday’s funeral and to attend a protest on Saturday. He says, because the government is insensitive to pain, we are calling on the population to come out en masse on the 27th. We want [protesters] …


more ...

США: Байден запропонував на голову ФРС республіканця, якого критикував Трамп

Тепер Пауелл має можливість завершити процес найбільш значного перегляду фінансово-кредитної політики США, починаючи з 1970-х років …


more ...

Долар продовжує дорожчати на міжбанку, НБУ послабив гривню ще на 9 копійок

Торги на українському міжбанківському валютному ринку завершуються на рівні 26 гривень 73–75 копійок за долар …


more ...

Robot Waiter Eases Labor Shortages in Australia’s Hospitality Industry

A Sydney restaurant is using a Chinese-made, multi-lingual hospitality robot to address chronic staff shortages as Australia’s economy begins to recover from COVID-19 lockdowns and border closures.  The robot waiter is programmed to know the layout of the tables and delivers food from the kitchen. It is also multi-lingual, programmed to communicate in English and Mandarin. The so-called BellaBot is built by the Chinese firm PuduTech.  Each machine costs about $17,000. They can be leased for $34 per day for each device, or the equivalent of two hours’ wages for restaurant staff. The devices are in use in other Australian restaurants and imports into Australia appear to be unaffected by recent trade tensions between the two countries.  Liarne Schai, the co-owner of the Matterhorn Restaurant in Sydney, is delighted with her new mechanical staff member.  “Ah, love the robot. Love the robot, she makes my life a lot easier. It is like a tower that has got four trays. It will carry eight of our dinner plates in one go. She is geo-mapped to the floor (customer names, location of tables, etc.) The robot knows where all our tables are,” Schai said.   Australia’s hospitality workforce has traditionally relied on international students. They have, however, been restricted from entering after Australia closed its borders to most foreign nationals in March 2020 in an effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus.   Labor shortages are affecting not only hospitality in Australia, but a range of industries from construction to information technology.   Liarne Schai says she has tried for months without success to recruit workers.  “It is the biggest issue we have at the moment. We have been running ads for chefs, for waiters, for kitchen hands for six months and we have had zero applicants. We are offering above award wages, we are offering bonuses, we are offering everything you can think of to attract appropriate staff and I am not even getting inappropriate staff, or untrained staff. I am just getting nobody.”  Labor shortages should ease when Australia reopens its borders to foreign nationals, but analysts expect many vacancies will remain unfilled.   Employer groups have demanded that Australia increase its intake of migrant workers.  Australia’s official unemployment rate stands at 5.2%.    But with more than 700,000 Australians without a …


more ...